We are writing a book on the MBA Oath and business ethics to be published next year.
Max Anderson will write the book, and we hope to publish it by graduation next year. The book will discuss the goals of the MBA Oath, explain how it got started, and address the major questions people have raised. The book will also devote one chapter to each of the eight commitments of the oath – explaining what they mean.
We want you to be a part of this.
We are holding an essay contest over the next month for you to write your thoughts on the MBA Oath. Winners will be selected at the end of September and published in the forthcoming book. The essays would appear either at the end of each chapter or in an appendix at the end of the book, to be determined in partnership with the publisher. Please see the rules below.
Any signer of the MBA Oath may apply.
1. Essays must not exceed 500 words.
2. Essays due September 7, 2009 at 5:00pm
3. Submit essays to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. You may write one or multiple essays, with a limit of one essay per topic (see below).
5. Essays may be edited before publication.
6. Essays must be on one of these selected topics (the different phrases of the oath). Please write what the phrase means to you and why it is important. Please only address one topic per essay.
- I will act with utmost integrity and pursue my work in an ethical manner.
- I will safeguard the interests of my shareholders, co-workers, customers, and the society in which we operate.
- I will manage my enterprise in good faith, guarding against decisions and behavior that advance my own narrow ambitions but harm the enterprise and the societies it serves.
- I will understand and uphold, both in letter and in spirit, the laws and contracts governing my own conduct and that of my enterprise.
- I will take responsibility for my actions, and I will represent the performance and risks of my enterprise accurately and honestly.
- I will develop both myself and other managers under my supervision so that the profession continues to grow and contribute to the well-being of society.
- I will strive to create sustainable economic, social, and environmental prosperity worldwide.
- I will be accountable to my peers and they will be accountable to me for living by this oath.