The MBA Oath has been covered by new outlets around the world, including The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, The New York Times, and dozens more. To contact us for an interview, email email@example.com
The MBA Oath on MSNBC
“…thanks in part to a new book by the authors of the oath, the idea is spreading through business schools like wildfire.”
– The Economist, May 2010
“The MBA Oath, however, turns out to be a thoughtful response to the situation in which thousands of MBA students found themselves, and far better than anything managed by the tenured faculty of their schools.“
– Phillip Delves Broughton, in his Financial Times review of the book The MBA Oath, April 2010
“Remember the MBA oath? Well far from joining the long list of business-education’s passing fads, the idea that prospective managers should swear to be honourable in their business dealings seems to be gaining a fresh momentum.”
– The Economist, March 2010
“Many schools are now boosting ethics courses. A dose of moral philosophy could do some good – but lip service is both more likely and worse than no course at all: students quickly see through fig leaves. Students’ own initiatives, such as the “MBA oath” (based on the Hippocratic oath), are more promising. They deserve support.”
-Financial Times, January 2010
At Northwestern, where the oath also went viral, graduating MBA David Hobbet says he was impressed by the large number of Kellogg grads who signed up, given the “minor effort” he and others put in. “Just a couple e-mails to friends,” he says, generated dozens of Kellogg signatures.
– Businessweek, June 2009
“I don’t see this as something that will fade away,” said Diana C. Robertson, a professor of business ethics at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. “It’s coming from the students. I don’t know that we’ve seen such a surge in this activism since the 1960s. This activism is different, but, like that time, it is student-driven.”
– The New York Times, June 2009
“Students are saying they want business education to operate in a different way and that they want higher expectations from faculty. Just telling them to maximise shareholder value does not satisfy them any more. They want to get away from the cartoon image of business that they are taught in the classroom, to get useful practical advice on how to lead a firm in the 21st century.”
– Nitin Nohria, quoted in The Economist, June 2009
- The Economist. The pedagogy of the privileged. September 23, 2009.
- Reuters. “Crisis Sparks Soul-Searching At Business Schools.” September 15, 2009.
- Business Week “Harvard’s MBA Oath Goes Viral” by Anne VanderMey June 11 2009
- NPR Weekend Edition Interview with Max Anderson and Teal Carlock by Liane Hansen from June 7, 2009.
- The Economist “Forswearing Greed” by Matthew Bishop June 4, 2009. Listen to audio interview below.
- New York Times “A Promise to Be Ethical in an Era of Immorality” by Leslie Wayne May 29, 2009
- The Guardian “Business Graduates: do no harm” by Elana Berkowitz Jun 18, 2009
- Bloomberg The MBA Oath. Jul 31, 2009
- Newsweek. Are Business Schools to Blame for the Crisis? Aug 1, 2009
- BBC World Service. Masters in Business. Sept 11, 2009.
- Business Day (South Africa) “A Hippocratic oath to heal the business world, but is there a cure for human greed?” June 15, 2009
- Fox 25 Boston Television Interview – See embedded video below.
- Financial Times Interview with Harvard President Drew Faust. June 12, 2009. Scroll to Question 4.
- Financial Times Interview with Harvard President Drew Faust. June 12, 2009. (Video)
- CNN.com Interview with Peter Escher on Executive Education Section. June 9, 2009.
- Harvard Business Review Explanation of why we wrote the oath. June 8, 2009
- Fox Business Channel (TV) Interview with Max Anderson June 5, 2009
- Edelman “6 A.M.: The MBA Oath” by Richard Edelman June 5, 2009
- Financial Times “Harvard MBAs Pledge to Do Good.” by Della Bradshaw June 5, 2009
- Planet Money Podcast (NPR) Interview with Jon Swan June 5, 2009
- The Boston Herald “Harvard Biz Grads Give Ethics Pledge” by Jay Fitzgerald June 5, 2009
- Fast Company “An Ethics Pledge for MBAs” by Jeff Chu June 4, 2009
- Harvard Gazette “Some HBS Students Adopt Ethical Code.” June 4, 2009
- Harvard Magazine “Management Maxims from HBS Class Day” June 3, 2009
- NECN (TV) Interview with Rye Barcott on Broadside June 3, 2009
- Naver.com (Korea) Article June 2009.
- The Marker (Israel) Article. July 5, 2009.
- Ere.net. MBA Grads Signing On To “Serve the Greater Good”. Jul 9, 2009.
Fox 25 Boston Interview